The university’s Office of Admissions offers two highly competitive Full Tuition Scholarships in the Department of Dance to incoming freshmen intending to major in dance. Select students may be recommended for these awards following an audition by the Department of Dance. In addition, a limited number of Creative Arts Achievement Awards (CAAA), another form of financial assistance, may be awarded to qualifying incoming freshmen students. Given that the focus of the department is on modern and contemporary dance, students who have experience and/or training in these genres are stronger candidates.
Please note: the scholarship audition process is separate from the admissions “Arts Supplement process.”
Auditions for scholarship awards are by invitation only. To be eligible for these awards, prospective students must:
1. Apply to the university (http://admission.case.edu/).
2. Please send a link to a video for pre-screening by the dance department faculty to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the faculty have viewed the video, a questionnaire will be sent via email. Following that, an applicant may receive an invitation to audition for the financial awards. The video submission should be 1.5 – 2 minutes in length, and the prospective student should be clearly visible. Do not submit ensemble footage. Video may be from technique class or performance.
3. Upon review of the video and questionnaire, the faculty will invite select students to attend the on-site scholarship auditions.*
*There are a limited number of audition slots available per day so early planning and communication with department faculty is strongly recommended.
The Audition Process
The audition is comprised of a full day of activities. Prospective students should plan to be on campus from approximately 10:30am until 5:00pm, and will engage with the dance faculty and current students in a number of activities including:
● taking an intermediate/advanced level ballet class
● taking an intermediate level modern class
● solo of roughly 2 minutes is preferred and not to exceed 3 minutes
● participating in a group interview with the department faculty
Attire: For the ballet class, ladies should wear a leotard, pink tights, and soft ballet slippers. Men should wear a fitted shirt, tights, and soft shoes. The modern class should be taken in form-fitting dance attire and bare feet.
Solo: For those who wish to be considered for the full scholarship or a CAAA, the solo should be in the modern or contemporary genres. The solo should be 2-3 minutes, and does not need to be self-choreographed. A sound system with an auxiliary cord will be available to play music from an mp3 player, phone, laptop, or similar device. A CD player will not be available.
Upcoming Scholarship Audition Dates
Due to COVID-19, the auditions normally held in November for Department of Dance scholarships have been canceled. We are hopeful to be able to have February auditions. Prospective students should contact Karen Potter, Chair at email@example.com
Faculty and Guest Artist Concert
Prospective students auditioning in November are invited to attend the fall faculty and guest artist concert on Friday evening. One comp ticket will be issued for the auditioning student upon request. Please notify us in advance if you will purchase tickets for additional family members. Our concerts typically sell out, so we will want to reserve seats for you and your family.
Notification for all scholarship awards is made by the Office of Admission in the spring.
Registration and Information
To register for an audition date and for more information about the department, please contact: Karen Potter, Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.